If you have decided to relocate your data center, it can be a huge task, like shifting yourself to a new place. This process needs a good amount of planning just to ensure everything goes well. Nowadays, every business needs to store their data well and make decisions regarding it quite seriously. Latest innovations have made quite a change in accessing the data well. Many workloads related to data have been successfully transferred to the cloud.
If there is a need for a data center shut down and you want this with minimum disruption, here are some steps that can make the process less complicated. Let’s have a look at them.
- Develop your data center decommissioning scope:If you want to start planning, you need to know the scope very well. Within the scope, a detailed timetable and budget need to be developed. This will make sure that the process is following all the safety procedures.
- Asset discovery and inventory: The asset and inventory approach discovery is mostly done manually and physically. Even you can use the ITAD partners just to provide the automated discovery services that are captured. It is not possible to start the decommission without putting a detailed list of locations, assets, and serial numbers related to assets.
- Decommissioning planning: There is a requirement for detailed planning for decommissioning the data center. You can get the help of a specialized partner that can maximize your IT asset value recovery. The partners will help in finding the best resale prices available and also help in accurate documentation.
- Logistic materials acquisition:The physical data center transportation can be a heavy task. To transport all the assets for destruction and recycling, there will be a need for pallets, boxes, and packaging. Just to ensure the secure chain of custody, check that all the trucks are sealed well, and there is no scope for chaos.
- Backup and ITAD:The next step is to double-check everything and be sure about it. Just get the help of a reputable ITAD service provider that helps with the backups and supports the data and storage migration services. Once the backup is verified safely, you can start with the decommissioning and follow the plan accordingly.
- Pack and move: When everything is powered down, it is a great time to move out of the data center and finally be in the physical stage of decommissioning disposition. The ITAD partner will help with the heavy lifting during this stage.
- Equipment and accounting follow-up: All the last verification checks need to be done so that everything is updated quite efficiently. All the essential items need to be included in the final resale price, and further certificates of erasure or destruction need to be processed.
Getting the help of the experts will always make the process quite easy. For expert assistance, get in touch with the team of OceanTech, one of the most trusted ITAD partners in the industry.