Do you know that humans tend to forget more than 40% of any new information within 24 hrs of reading it? Therefore, it is essential for the candidates to take notes of anything they read to retain 100% of the information. This goes for the UPSC 2022 exam preparation as well; you may thoroughly read current affairs but will forget them if you do not make notes.
It is recommended to read the newspaper every day to be up-to-date with the current events happening within and outside the country. But, when you read and study so much every day, you are likely to forget all this information by the time you give your exam. Hence, you should always make notes from the newspaper for UPSC’s current affairs as it can help in revision.
Selection of Newspaper
You first need to choose the right newspaper as per the UPSC Current Affairs syllabus. It is advised to opt for either The Hindu or The Indian Express as they are designed as per the UPSC syllabus. Before you start reading the newspaper, always know the UPSC Syllabus first.
It would be best if you only read the essential sections as per the syllabus; you can know the important topics by going through the previous year’s question paper. This will help you select the right articles as per the exam perspective and leave the irrelevant ones. It will also save a lot of time as you know what to read and what to leave.
How to Make Notes from Newspaper for UPSC Current Affairs?
Newspaper is considered the roadmap to world news; every day, it covers exclusive news from worldwide. As a UPSC candidate, it is vital for you to be updated with new information on what is happening within and outside the country. Here are some of the best ways of making notes-
1) Make notes in a register or flip cards in order to keep track of Current Affairs. In addition, you can make it easier by categorizing them as per date or months or subjects as per your choice.
2) Create notes on your laptop, PC, or iPad. Nowadays, students like studying online as everything is available on the web. You can create notes online and categorize them at your ease. The digital method is considered easier as it is an automatic process.
Both these techniques are good and have advantages and disadvantages, so you can choose any method that works best for you. In fact, you can also register with BYJU’s Exam Prep. They provide students with all the information related to UPSC exams, such as syllabus, forms, exam date, study material, and expert staff that can help make your preparations seamless.
How to Make Notes from the Newspaper Quickly?
While preparing current affairs for UPSC 2022, there are a few things that you should keep in mind to read the newspaper efficiently:
- Know the syllabus first so that you can bifurcate what to read and what to avoid.
- Read or make notes of purely political news, hyperlocal news, celebrity news, and details of the sports news.
- Focus on reading the news related to Government schemes and bills, defense news, court rulings, international affairs, etc.
- Read and make notes of information from a trusted source only.
- Note down the facts, themes, benefits, and implications of the country. Do not write too much information as it will be confusing and tough to revise.
Creating notes is a skill where you can read things and use that data smartly in pinning them down in a crispy and specific way to memorize those things. The primary reason for notes making is to pen down things you might forget and aid you in revising them quickly.